Sunday, August 30, 2009

Our 2009 Trek West

Well, I will attempt to write out details about our Family Trip we took out west during the month of August 2009...and yes, it took just about a month!! I think I will post each day or segment of the trip on separate postings, just so it's not too long and boring to read through all at once! hahah! I'll have to dig around and find all the pictures we took as well. I know Ladd has many of them on his laptop as mine is just so full of pictures I'm running out of space.

So, why did we "trek" west? It all started with Ladd's finding out about his 20 year class reunion, Weber High School in Pleasant View, Utah. I think he started getting info on that a year ago, however when I asked about it this past spring (was I going to go, how would we go, would the whole family go...ya know those sorts of questions) he surprised me by saying we should all drive out. We had just purchased a giant van as a family car in February and what better way could one get to make the long haul. Keep in mind, Ladd never went on road trips as a kid and has often dreaded the thought of being in a car with all the kids for majorly extended periods of time. Just keep that in mind....HIS idea!!! :)

I, on the other hand, was elated at the idea!!! I jumped at the chance for a huge family road trip because that is the story of my life! :) We did them ALL the time as a kid...we'd go west or east to see family, friends, church sites, historical sites, and strange/random sites!!! We'd camp, cookout, swim, play on playgrounds, visit waterparks, zoos, museums, lakes & waterfalls, hike mountains, etc. It was great fun and I have the BEST memories of doing such things. So, with the prospect of going west, I got on the internet and searched...talked with my dad and gleaned ideas...so much fun!

I decided (yes, it was purely ME that did the planning! heehee) that on our way out, we'd stop in Ohio first to see my sister for a few days, then head up and over to Indiana to stay with my parents for a week. Ladd would fly out from NJ to Indianapolis, where we would pick him up from the airport on our way to Nauvoo, IL. We would spend a few days in Nauvoo then follow the Mormon trail as we headed west, stopping at several sites along the way...including: Winterquarters (nebraska), Mormon Island/Grand Island, Nebraska, Chimney rock near Scott's Bluff, nebraska, Guernsey, WY oregon trail ruts, Independence rock, Devil's Gate & Martin's cove. When we got to Utah, we would go to Provo first showing the kids BYU campus and visit family. Then up to Salt Lake City to Temple Square, then up to Ogden to stay with the Wimmer Grandparents. On the way home we would high tail it back to Indiana and then to Dayton and Columbus, Ohio to visit friends.

So that was the plan! Let's see how it all fell into place!.....

1 comment:

RebeckerOnline said...

way to leave me hanging?

Haaa.

Do tell. I will check back frequently.